Gas Detection

Risks

Gas safety is one of the most important features of workplace safety, particularly in industrial settings, but reliable gas detection tends to go overlooked. Many gases are colorless and odorless, which make them very difficult to detect. They have the potential to cause explosions and fires, as well as serious health risks, including loss of consciousness, damage to the heart, sweating, vomiting, nausea, impaired hearing, and difficulty breathing. This can lead to serious injury or even death. Thus, it is important to not only have a plan if a gas leak does occur, but to also implement measures beforehand that should hopefully prevent a gas leak from ever occurring.

Pre-emptive Measures

Gas leaks usually occur because of poorly maintained or faulty appliances. Thus, it is essential that all appliances that could potentially emit gas be constantly checked for general wear and tear or other defects and damages. You also need to be able to detect a gas leak immediately. The most obvious sign is the smell of gas, but there are other physical symptoms that may indicate the presence of gas. If you are feeling nauseous, dizzy, or lightheaded, you should go outside right away. If the symptoms go away, you may be feeling the effects of a gas leak. If you are using household appliances, always look for a crisp blue flame, and watch out for any scorched areas around your appliances. Make sure your appliances are installed by an accredited Gas Safe Register engineer. You should also keep a carbon monoxide alarm in your house or office, as CO is one of the most dangerous gases there is, because it is colorless, odorless, and tasteless. Make sure the alarm is constantly tested and the batteries are switched frequently. Although CO detectors do not serve as smoke detectors, there are dual smoke/CO detectors available. Before a gas leak occurs, you should be aware of all fire exits and other emergency exits, in case the main doors or exits are blocked for some reason.

gas detector

Action Plan!

Whether you are prepared or not, gas leaks sometimes occur. If you smell gas at your home or workplace, you need to take action immediately. You should turn the gas supply off at your gas meter right away. You should also open all windows and doors to help create air flow. If, for some reason, you are unable to open a window, you need to get outside as soon as possible. Staying in an isolated area where there is a gas leak is incredibly dangerous. You should also avoid using any electrical switches, as the sparks could create an explosion. This includes doorbells and light switches. Once you have taken all the steps and left the building, you need to call for emergency services. If you have to use your cell phone, go to a neighbors home. Never call from a cell phone while still in the area where the gas leak occurred. The most important thing is to evacuate the building and to make sure everyone else evacuates as well.